Getting a divorce can be an emotionally draining and time-intensive process. While a lawyer is not necessary in the process, the legal complexity of the matter might require that you hire one. When ending a marriage, each spouse has their own needs and issues, and each will need their own lawyer. Good legal advice could make the process smoother, whether the divorce is settled in or out of court. How do you choose the best from all the options when looking for a lawyer? In this article, we discuss how you can find the best divorce lawyer in Surrey.
Qualities of a good divorce lawyer
When choosing a lawyer to handle your divorce in Surrey or surrounding areas, look for the following qualities:
- Divorce experience: You want a lawyer who understands divorce proceedings and who can get a favourable outcome. Your lawyer should also be aware of any domestic issues that may arise during the divorce proceedings and be able to manage them.
- Surrey residence: It’s important that you choose a lawyer who operates in Surrey. While there may be nothing wrong with the Montreal lawyer that your friend recommended, a Surrey lawyer might be more acquainted with other lawyers in the area and will work with them more effectively.
- Cultural awareness: Surrey is a culturally diverse community. Therefore, it is important that the lawyer can handle matters of cultural diversity with ease.
- Experience handling asset division: With divorce comes the need to divide assets acquired during the marriage. Your lawyer needs to be acquainted with and experienced in matters of asset division, including the sale of real estate, paying taxes, and other financial matters.
- Professionalism: When choosing a divorce lawyer, you want assurance that the process will be handled professionally, with as few complications as possible. You also want someone you will easily get along with. While the internet might at times be deceiving, online reviews and ratings from the firm’s previous clients might provide you with an idea of their professional background.
- People skills: Take your time before choosing a divorce lawyer. Reach out to several lawyers to ask questions and see how they respond to your concerns. An initial consultation can tell you a lot about a lawyer’s people skills and will help you to choose the one you find most suitable for handling your divorce.
Divorce lawyer in Surrey
If you’re looking for a divorce lawyer to help you with your divorce case in Surrey, contact us at Highland Law.
Our team of family lawyers has helped Surrey residents resolve family matters in and out of court for years. Our services are client-focused and cost-effective to help you resolve your matters as easily as possible.
Call us today at 778-591-5888 or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment to discuss your case.